Grangeside and the main house “Hilperton Grange” were built in 1859 as one residence with staff quarters, offices and coach house by Lord Long of Wraxall for his land agent John Jones Bush. Lord Long owned the property from 1857 to 1869 whilst residing at the nearby Rood Ashton Estate and in 1869 ownership of the Grange transferred to his heir, his second son, Richard Penruddocke Long.
Richard’s eldest son Walter Hume Long (1854 –1924) became the new owner of Hilperton Grange upon Richard’s death in 1875. He served as Member of Parliament, serving as First Lord of the Admiralty and became a cabinet minister and was later raised to the peerage as Viscount Long in 1921. John Jones Bush was kept on as the land agent and stayed at the Grange to manage the estate.
In 1931 the property was sold to a widow Mrs. Leventon who, during the Second World War, assisted by taking in a family of evacuees, the Grays. When she died in 1956, the estate was bought at auction by a naval officer, Captain Page. After retiring from the Navy in 1984 he started his own business using Grangeside as offices where they employed at one stage close to one hundred staff. When the company moved to larger premises, the offices were converted to the Grangeside Business Support Centre in 2008.
They bring their past experiences in information technology and interior design to provide the very best working environment whilst retaining the personal touch of a country property.